I'm a person who likes to compare and contrast, especially when it comes to baseball cards. And most especially when it comes to the year-to-year Topps base card designs. I think we all like to do this to some degree. It satiates our need as a species to place things in a rank and order. Or maybe that's just me?
Anyhow, I've been meaning to blab about which of the Topps designs from this current decade is the king of the hill. I did it last year when 2013 Topps debuted and it seemed like a lot of folks leaned towards 2011. At the time of that post, I think I was in favor of 2010 or 2012.
But, how about now that we've thrown 2014 Topps into the mix? At first glance, I was both intrigued and let down by the design. It seemed the blogging community came to a consensus in regards to the look of the cards: very Bowman-esque. Whether that is a flattering commentary depends largely on how much you fancy Bowman cards these days. I'm pretty ambivalent towards them. Or maybe indifferent is the more appropriate word? Well, however you want to say, they aren't a 'must' for me. Thus, the root of my disappointment with the newest design.
However, like the new album from your favorite band that may require a few spins before becoming an essential listen, I think the '14 Topps card has grown on me. Maybe not to the heights of an epic, but certainly not a throw-away effort as I had initially feared. The vertical team name on the right edge doesn't even bother me anymore.
What's more, I definitely like '14 more than last year. And maybe even more than '11. I still think 2010 is pretty great and I'm an army of one when it comes to '12 insomuch that I like it quite a bit, also.
So, how about you? Which of the five Topps designs from this current decade stands out as the best of the bunch?
Okay, here's my ranking of the decade's Topps releases:
5 -- 2013
4 -- 2011
3 -- 2014
2 -- 2012
1 -- 2010
MK





0 Yorumlar