Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

After Thanksgiving

So, what do we do after Thanksgiving? Well, if you're anything like me you a) clean the kitchen b) start decorating for Christmas. Oh yes, and celebrate another Thanksgiving!


We started the day with brunch with Greg and his girlfriend, Kim. We had only met her once at Kevin and Molly's wedding two and a half years ago. Then she moved to Boston. So it was extra fun to have her at the table and learn more about her. And yes, we liked her very much.


Our dinner on Thursday was lovely -- just the two of us. Our main course was shrimp and grits. (I recommend this recipe by Bobby Flay -- and use lots of shrimp because it's just as good the next day! Rick brought his delicious bread, made fresh that morning.)


Should I ever be executed, please remember that Shrimp and Grits is my first choice for a last meal.


I went off the grid and did something one should never do on a holiday -- make something I'd never made before. But since it was just us, I thought, "Why not?"



So, I made collard greens to go with the shrimp and grits. We had no idea how we'd like it but they were surprisingly good, even as leftovers. Also new on the menu was acorn squash in the crock pot with just a bit of brown sugar and pie spice. I know I got that from one of you and thank you. I'd link to your blog if I could remember which it was!


We rounded that off with cranberries and vanilla-caramel ice cream with baked apples for dessert.


I was up early the next day to start decorating for Christmas. As much as I want to do this and love to, I'm a little slower than I planned. I think I just want to get it right -- all the "same" but with a different twist. My newest furniture purchase was this hutch, a Hitchcock Fenwick step back cupboard. It was a great deal at the antique store and it matches my mom's Hitchcock chairs perfectly! Stay tuned for the Christmas reveal!


Meanwhile, on Saturday it was Thanksgiving II! This time with turkey!


We were joined by Greg and our friends Byron, Joe and Jeaneen.


It was Joe's birthday! Let them eat cake!


Byron, Joe and Rick are part of a classical music trio, so the time together included a little practice, too!


It wouldn't be the holidays without a Lizzie photo -- she's loving the wheat grass I brought her home from the store!


And check out my geranium! When it got cold, I brought it inside. I've heard you can weather them over the winter by withholding water and putting them in a dark place so as soon as it dries out and I can actually lift the pot, it's going downstairs!


Here's to the holiday season! Let's start celebrating!


We need a little laughter!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar