"A snow day, literally and figuratively,
falls from the sky,
unbidden,
and seems like a thing of wonder."
(Susan Orlean)
I woke up Wednesday morning to deep silence. When I looked out the window, all was white. Snow softened the lines of plants, cars, and garden features. It was no surprise to get the message that school was cancelled for the day.
"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful,
for beauty is God's handwriting."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
First on my list of things to do on a snowy day is take a walk. I bundled up and set out for Rithet's Bog. It was a very different place than it had been on Sunday. The waterfowl sheltered in the deeper water of the side ditches. Snow-laden branches reflected mystery in the dark deep pond.
"Instructions for living a life
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it."
(Mary Oliver)
I could see that someone else had walked at least part of the path I was on, but his or her footsteps were mostly covered. No one else was there and the snow was deep enough that it took effort to lift my feet and plant them again. I reveled in the marvelous quiet and the bright softness.
"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of weather."
(Mark Twain)
Once home again I took a turn around the garden. The Japanese fishing ball looks as though it's wearing a dunce cap. Inside, I made a mug of hot chocolate and walked from window to window, looking at the different views. Then, what to do with the day? Should I indulge myself, or should I mark papers?
Indulgence won out - I read a little, and played with fabric, creating four zipper pouches just for fun. I re-watched an episode of the Crown while I sewed. As the light faded I put away the sewing and went to the kitchen. Earlier in the day I had browned a pot roast and put it into the slow cooker with a bit of red wine. Now I added some chopped mushrooms to the cooker. I cut zucchini, tomatoes, and potatoes to make a vegetable tian that went into the oven. Just before dinner I took the meat from the cooker and let it rest, then poured the mushrooms and liquid into a pot to create a flavourful gravy. It was the perfect day for such a warming dinner.
"One of the secrets of a happy life
is continuous small treats."
(Iris Murdoch)
The next day school was back in session, although the buses didn't run and numbers were down. It's nearing end of term and assessment is high on the list of things to accomplish. Still, that one day was a gift, an expected treat.

0 Yorumlar