I've been plumb out of homemade chicken broth for about two weeks now. What is it they say about never missing something until you don't have it? The recipes for the soups I've wanted to make and dishes I've wanted to concoct keep getting shoved back into my recipe box because one of the main ingredients is chicken broth. And there has been none in my freezer to use.
So this last Tuesday night, I went to the freezer and pulled out two young, healthy (extra and not needed) roosters (sorry, guys) that we had processed and stored there for future use.
First thing yesterday morning, I put them in my biggest pot, added onions, celery and carrots along with a sprinkling of herbs and lots of water and let it simmer all day. Out to the cold back porch the roosters and pot went over night to be brought in this morning for several more hours of slow cooking.
Over two gallons of rich, flavorful, nutrition-packed chicken broth came from my gigantic stewing pot.
I also had a good amount of meat that needed to be separated from skin and bone.This was a job my mother loved to do. She's sit happily picking every piece of delectable, tender meat from this pile of cooked meat and bones.
Unfortunately, this isn't a trait that she passed on down to me. It's one of the putzy tasks that I'd just as soon not have to do. But no sense whining and wasting all that really good meat, so I do it. With a smile on my face. Thinking of all the good meals I'll be able to make with the delicious, homegrown meat. Still, I can't help but raise my eyes to the heavens and mutter, "Okay, Mom, where are you when I need you?"
0 Yorumlar